Thursday, November 09, 2006

Overheard in Vancouver


I blame the temperate weather, the former Social Credit party for letting the crazies out of institutions and the copious amounts of cheap mouthwash at the Army & Navy store for much of Vancouvers 'special' people on the streets but some of them are just so damn odd that I am left speechless.

For instance yesterday; I was walking home from work passing by the Granville St. skytrain station and this crazy old man was walking up to people and shouting "I killed my wife because she never listened!!". Yeah, um, ok...not sure what to say to you man but I am just gonna cross the street here and not make eye contact.

Then around 9:30 p.m. last night I went out for a late night hot chocolate with Jacob so we could bring it home and spike it with Bailey's for a wee nightcap. Outside of the liquor store there was this old dude with a guitar singing a very interesting song. I figure he got confused as he would sing one line from the Rolling Stones "Give Me Shelter" and then the next with Rolf Harris' "Tie Me Kangaroo Down" and kept going back and forth. It was friggin' hilarious and he actually had a few loyal fans enjoying the remix.

Gotta love the crazies. I will always remember my favourite encounter ever though, it was in Gastown and I was with Si Si (Simon). This very pregnant lady sauntered up to us with a cigarette in her hand and asked us for change. We politely told her no and she screamed/slurred at us "Fuck you...I'm drinking for two!" and hobbled off. It was all I could do not to burst out laughing...I had tears as I was holding it in till she was far enough away. Ahh the 'Couv.

1 comment:

FatFairy said...

Don't forget the witch that wanted money for stolen flowers. Avert your eyes!!!