Monday, November 13, 2006

I'm Not a Racist But This Ain't Hanoi


Canada is known to be one of the most multicultural nations around but what else do we happen to be known for? That's right, politeness! Or at least I thought it was...

I was out today getting my talons filed down a.k.a. a basic manicure. I went to a little place that was closer to my home instead of my usual place seeing as the weather was less than stellar. The lady at the front desk seemed nice enough and the place was packed with business women so I figured, hey, this place must be allright.

So I was sitting down there getting my cuticles shoved back in the most fierce of manners when I started realising that not only were ALL of the nail techs jabbering away in Vietnamese, but they were also pointing not so discreetly at certain women and laughing, making lame impersonations, etc. Most women were too busy reading the tabloids or admiring themselves in the mirror to notice but for the 5 or so who were with it, we started looking at each other in a stunned sort of disgust mixed with slight amusement (seeing as the vain women were being mocked, not us).

I must have given my nail tech a bit of a snotty look or something because she leaned over and said "Oh don't worry, we are only talking of Vietnam cause we miss it sooo verrrry much". Yeah right, my ass you were.

Reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine was convinced that the Korean manicurists were talking about her. She knew that George Costanza's father, Frank, served in the Korean war and could speak the language so she convinced him to join her there and listen in to see if in fact they were mocking her in Korean. Turns out that yes, they were in fact making fun of her.

So, anyone speak Vietnamese?

No comments: