Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The drugs don't work

I was waiting for the man to pick me up last night by Waterfront Station when a guy approached me telling me that he was starving and had not eaten all day. I gave him the bag of crackers that I had just opened and started eating and off he trotted, thanking me and not harassing anyone else and looking genuinely grateful. 2 minutes later, the scary witch-looking lady that is always trying to sell stolen flowers comes up to me and says “My name is Jackie and I have been off heroin for 10 months and am in the methadone program. Can I have some money?”, as she is shaking uncontrollably and looking all drugged out. I said ‘no, sorry I have nothing on me’ and she proceeds to hork on my shoe and scream “You look like you never ever help the homeless you bitch!”. Normally I would ignore it but I was in a bad mood and told her to fuck off and go harass someone else. It pissed me off seeing as I had just given someone the only food I had and not 4 days earlier donated over 600$ worth of nice business suits to a women’s shelter that helps women get back into the work force and ready for job interviews. Plenty of us help those actually in need but me giving drug addicts money on the street to help get their next fix is not going to help anyone.

No comments: