Thursday, October 28, 2010

Polite to a fault?


I travel to the United States a lot and Americans are always picking on me for my 'Canadian accent' (and I don’t even say ‘eh’ or ‘aboot’) Fine, make fun of me for not drawling my way through the Queen’s language, but could you please, please stop answering with “uh huh” when I say thank you? I guess it’s obvious that I am from North of the border as I actually utter the phrases ‘please’ and ‘thank you’….god forbid we have manners, basic manners at that but answering with 'uh huh' sounds both uninterested and uneducated.

1 comment:

Sisi said...

LOL! That's one of my total American faves. Next time you should ask them what they just said..

You: "Thank you"
Them: "Un hunh"
You: "Sorry...what did you say?"

Often they'll look at you as though you have 6 heads...but sometimes you'll actually get an answer like - "You're welcome"...at which point you counter with: "Ahh. I thought I heard you grunt at me". Not that they EVER catch the inference...but it's fun to play. :-)