Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Hooked on fonix werked fer me

I read this interesting article in Time today. I am of the camp that believes that we should not bend in order to accommodate those who cannot spell. I work and correspond with people who cannot spell simple words on a daily basis; it is truly appalling. I am not talking about those who are 25 years and younger who were lucky enough to grow up with spell check as their bitch, but I am talking about those of us who actually learned how to spell but seem to have forgotten the basic, simple rules of the English language (those who are ESL or who have a learning disability are obviously exempt from my rant!). The one line that really got me in this article though was from someone complaining about how something as trivial as spelling can lead to someone not getting a job because of an error on their CV. Ummm so it should! If you are too damn lazy to manually spell check and review your CV then what kind of employee would you make? Probably a lazy and sloppy employee at best.

No comments: