Monday, August 30, 2010

Homey don't play that

I was walking towards the train this morning at the Broadway-City Hall Station and the usual fare checks were not in place but one of the Canada Line employees in her tacky green jacket was accosting an elderly man with a bunch of trash bags full of cans. I was walking side by side with a woman who was about the same age as myself and she just happened to be Black. We both slowed down to see if the woman was going to ask to see our transit passes but she didn't so we kept walking towards the train. About 2 minutes later, the employee was huffing, puffing and all red-faced demanding to see my pass. I showed her the pass and said that perhaps if she had just asked me for it, she would not have had to 'chase me down' for it. She then came at me with total attitude, enough so that everyone was now watching this show down on the platform and I asked her "what about the girl who was walking with me, did she evade you as well?" The Skytrain lady got all fidgety and started staring at the ground which is when the girl that I was walking with piped up "Yeah, I didn't show you my pass either" and the Skytrain lady was saying, that it was fine, she didn't need to see it. The girl said really loudly "Oh I get it, it's because I'm Black and you're scared...racist!" Ha ha, nothing like a little 7am confrontation to get the day going!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.theprovince.com/Editorial+When+will+officials+deal+with+Critical+Mass+ride/3463419/story.html