Wednesday, November 11, 2009

N'oublions pas

Today is Remembrance Day here in Canada. The ceremony is basically the same every year but I always sit by the tv and am moved by the poems, the speeches and the stories of those who fought for our freedom. What really irks me as of late though are people who say that this day has no meaning for them as they are from some other country and didn't lose anyone in any of Canada's battles but you know what? The reason why you left your friends, family and everything that you had wherever you came from and picked up to come all the way to Canada is because of the veterans who fought in battles in some country that they may have never even heard of before. The reason why Canada is the way it is today is because of these veterans and their sacrifices...sometimes the ultimate sacrifice which was their life just so that you and I can live here in peace with freedoms that do not exist anywhere else. I am not only thankful today but everyday to call Canada my home.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Couldn't agree with more JT. I also think that if kids and adults are getting the day off that they should know why it's a day off. Stop and think about it.

vancouverizer said...

I make a point of forcing myself out of bed making breakfast and dragging my kids to Memorial Park South on 41st.

Given that only a few hundred people show up to stand in the rain for an hour (it always rains that day) I consider it important that somebody make the effort. Plus, I consider it a tradition to share with my boys.