Monday, June 29, 2009

I lose things aka I am the luckiest bastard

I often do stupid things, we all do, but I think that Tuesday was one of my dumber moments. I had an appointment at St. Pauls at lunch time where I had to run on a treadmill like a rat for 45 long minutes while hooked up to all sorts of gadgets and chords. When I do this, I sweat, a lot...so I put my engagement ring aka really expensive solitaire diamond ring, into my wallet change purse for safe keeping. Once I got off the treadmill and somewhat caught my breath, I realised that I had to be back at the office for a 1pm meeting and it was now 12:51pm, crrrap! I ran outside, flagged down a cab, paid the guy cash and ran to my desk, making it just in time. I realised later that day that my bling was gone. I have a suitcase for a handbag so I figured it was somewhere in there, stay calm. After I got home I dumped and re-dumped my bag out over and over again to no avail, my ring was gone. I got maybe 20 minutes of sleep because I wasn’t sure how to tell the man what a tard I am. The next day I retraced my steps, filed a police report and came clean with my man (he handled it so well, said it was just an object and not to worry, awwwww, he’s the absolute best!) As a last resort I went on Craigslist and I saw an ad for a found ring. After copious e-mails back and forth, handing my gemological reports over to a jeweler to verify that the ring was indeed mine and meeting the angel at the community police station who found my ring in the cab that I dropped it in, I finally/thankfully have my ring back. My faith in humanity has been restored and I am so glad that there are good people left in the world.

3 comments:

Gern Blanstein said...

You are lucky but do deserve it. I am shocked there are good humans left in this world!

amy said...

WOW. So lucky and I am very happy that you found it. This is why I have an insurance rider on mine ;P

Anonymous said...

I believe the expression is "horseshoe up the ass". You should go out and buy a lottery ticket asap... no, wait, that would mean I wouldn't win, so please hold off on that.