Saturday, March 01, 2008

Campaign trails

I'm on a Rick Mercer kick as of late and he got me thinking about elections. Don’t get me wrong, Canada totally rocks as a nation but I cannot lie; the elections up here are so friggin’ dull compared to what’s going on next door in the good ole’ USA. As Canadians, we love to think of ourselves as one of the world’s most progressive, ethnically diverse nations and yet there's big bad backwards America just over the fence and just look who's running for the big job down there: A woman, a Black man, Nader who claims to be Green (why??), a Mormon with really big hair, and some dude who was in a bamboo cage in Vietnam for 5.5 years. Meanwhile in Canada, we're gearing up for yet another race between a pudgy English white guy economist and a skinny French white guy with glasses and some other white English guy with bad facial hair. I keep seeing my friends go South to help with American election campaigns and I can see why: it’s inspiring, interesting and the times are changing down there while up here in Canada it’s more like same shit, different day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stephane Dion would look good in a bamboo cage as a publicity stint PLUS bamboo is renewable so it would be on track with his environmental policies! I can see it now...