Thursday, January 18, 2007

Pet Peeve #506,702D



Not that I am some sort of linguistics professor or learned person but it really irritates me when people mispronounce everyday words. What bugs me even more though is when people try to add new age or foreign lingo into their speech and fu*& it up. This list will be ongoing I fear as people seem to have issues with the English language as we know it.

Experiment: It's pronounced "ex-pear-i-ment" NOT "ex-spear-amint".

Spearmint gum should never be pronounced "spear-a-mint" gum, there is no 'a' in the middle last I checked.

Espresso: "es-press-oh", stop telling me you love to drink "express-oh" every morning.

Pumpkin: try saying "pump-kin" instead of 'Punk-kin"...that is just childish not to mention annoying.

Etcetera: it's "et-cet-er-ah" not not not "ex-cet-tera", jeeeeeez people, come on!

It's Duct Tape, NOT duck tape

Ticklish: "tick-lish" NOT "tick-el-lish"

Epitome: "e-pit-to-mee" not "epi-tome"...stick to small words would ya?

Ex-pecially?? Do I have to spell this one out for you? *shakes head*

Did you know that only 1/7 can pronounce nuclear correctly? Perhaps I am exaggerating but man, it's a lot of you!

Your doctor gave you a perscription for what? Funny cause mine only give me prescriptions...

Creature this one's for you: Well: I do not think I need to spell this one out, it's pronounced, well, NOT "wool" ;) *how could I resist NOT adding that to my list??*

This list will be ongoing. JJ.

p.s. Si Si, thanks for the wicked title ;)

Creature alerted me to another one: Raspberry is not pronounced 'razzberry'

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’ll tell you one that gets on my nerves – people who say Asterix instead of asterisk. Comic character, symbol above the 8 – yeah, I see the confusion. I dunno, maybe I need less sugar in my diet, or something.

Anonymous said...

forget that! what about people whose grammar is so bad.

amandaviolet. said...

thanks for that J. I like to think i've got grown my sheep days, but you'll have to tell me for sure in six months, haha.
you forgot another.
rasp-berry. not razz-berry.